U.S. Department of State Doing Its Part To Keep America Safe, Healthy, and Running During the COVID-19 Pandemic
Washington, DC (STL.News) – The US Department of State released the following statement:
In December 2019, the COVID-19 outbreak began in Wuhan, China.??Unfortunately, the Chinese Communist Party delayed informing its citizens and other nations about the virus until it spread widely around the world, threatening Americans at home and abroad. The Trump Administration, including the State Department, sprang into action early and aggressively to keep America safe, healthy, and running.
For more than a half century, the United States has been the largest contributor to global health security. We built the foundation upon which the global health system is based, contributing more than $140 billion in global health assistance in the 21st?Century alone.
In addition to this direct U.S. government funding, Americans are helping people around the world through the generosity of private businesses, nonprofit groups, charitable organizations, faith-based organizations, and individuals. Americans have provided nearly $3 billion in donations and assistance, in addition to what the U.S. Government has provided.
THE STATE DEPARTMENT IS DOING ITS PART IN KEEPING AMERICA SAFE
- On January 31, President Trump announced? travel restrictions from?the People’s Republic of?China,?excluding the Special
- Administrative Regions of Hong Kong and Macau,?saving thousands of American lives.??On March 11, President Trump announced? travel restrictions from Europe, saving more American lives
- On February 7, the State Department, in collaboration with other U.S. Government partners,?facilitated?transportation “of?more than?17 tons of medical supplies?provided by various U.S. organizations?to the people in Wuhan?to help contain COVID-19 in?the
- People’s Republic of China?and protect Americans
- In partnership with American and international airlines, the State Department has organized or facilitated over 750 flights to repatriate over 71,000 U.S. citizens from over 100 countries, including from Wuhan, China, beginning January 29
- Because an uncontrolled COVID-19 outbreak in foreign nations threatens America,?since the outbreak of COVID-19, the U.S. government has committed more than $500 million in assistance specifically aimed at fighting the pandemic
THE STATE DEPARTMENT IS DOING ITS PART IN KEEPING AMERICA HEALTHY
- Together with FEMA, other U.S. Government partners, and commercial carriers, the State Department has been instrumental in transporting Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to American hospitals from around the world. So far, 89 flights have landed and additional flights are scheduled to deliver planeloads of PPE into the United States, including:
5 million N95 respirators
812 million gloves
107 million surgical masks
15 million surgical gowns
2 million face shields
- State Department teams along with U.S. Government partners around the world are working 24/7 to ensure Americans have the essential supplies they need to defeat the COVID-19?pandemic.??This unprecedented, all-hands-on-deck effort includes:
Ensuring cargo flights can take off and land at overseas airports quickly, and return to the United States with minimal interruption
Clearing air approvals
Addressing customs issues
THE STATE DEPARTMENT IS DOING ITS PART IN KEEPING AMERICA RUNNING
The State Department along with key U.S. Government partners is striving to? secure and diversify American supply chains. This includes returning manufacturing to the U.S. and expanding our base of international manufacturing partners.
American diplomats are identifying foreign sources of excess medical supplies and working with international companies to procure and produce the items that will be most needed to get America back and running.
The economic officers at the State Department are helping American companies maintain and grow business relationships overseas.
The global COVID-19 crisis has led many foreign nations and businesses to reassess their economic partnerships. The trust, dependability, high-quality and transparency that America and American businesses bring to the table have never been more valuable.